Kale Salad My husband and I return every year to the Wynn Las Vegas Hotel for our anniversary. We...
Holiday Goat Cheese Pockets For Salad
Total Time:45 minutes
- 12 ozs. good goat cheese
- ¾ c. dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp. orange zest about 2 large oranges
- 8 sheets frozen phyllo dough defrosted
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- 4 Tbsp. plain dry bread crumbs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove the goat cheese wrapper and place the goat cheese into the freezer for 15-20 minutes prior to slicing.
- Cut four equal slices of goat cheese from your log of the goat cheese.
- Cover the stack of defrosted Phyllo dough with a slightly damp towel to keep it moist and keep it from drying so it is not difficult to work with.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on a cutting board, brush it with butter, and sprinkle it with 3/4 teaspoon of bread crumbs.
- Repeat with a second sheet of phyllo on top, brush it with butter, and sprinkle it with bread crumbs, continuing until you have 4 sheets of the phyllo stacked up.
- Cut the phyllo in half crosswise to make two equal rectangles.
- Place a slice of goat cheese in the middle of one stack of phyllo, sprinkle 5-8 cranberries on top, followed by a sprinkle of the orange zest.
- Fold a corner diagonally over the cheese, and pleat the rest of the dough up and around the cheese, enclosing it completely.
- Place the package, folded side up, on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Depending on the size of your phyllo dough, you may need to trim the tops of the package so it is flat on top when folded over.
- Repeat the process, until you have 4 packages filled with goat cheese.
- Brush the packages all over with melted butter, cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- When you are ready, bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm over your favorite salad. Mine is a cold green bean, arugula salad with a Dijon vinaigrette.