I remember this very retro recipe that was going around about the time that the Runnin’ Rebels began their streak of final fours which eventually ran to a National Championship. This recipe brings back memories of the late 70’s and 80’s and I have kept the recipe exactly as it was then! Packaged seasoning, dressing and all!!! Enjoy!
- 1 English cucumber, cut lengthwise and seeded, then chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 4 scallions, minced white and green parts or 1 chopped red onion
- 1 bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange), chopped in ½-inch pieces
- ¼ C. basil, minced (reserve 1 Tbsp. for garnishing the top before serving)
- 1 2.62 oz bottle of McCormick Salad Supreme
- 1 16 oz bottle Newman’s Own Italian salad dressing
- ¼ c. shaved parmesan cheese for topping
- 1 box or 1 lb. Rotini or Fusilli pasta
Prepare the Rotini pasta per directions on package but cook one minute less than package directions.
Chop all of the necessary vegetables and then combine pasta and all ingredients in one large bowl.
Mix the salad dressing and poor liberally onto the salad mixture and toss. This can be done an hour before serving or overnight and placed back into the refrigerator. Top with the basil and shaved parmesan cheese.
Tip: If you do place it back in the fridge before serving, when you take it out reserve a good 1/2 C. of dressing to re-toss the salad with as the pasta will absorb the dressing while resting a bit too much and it will taste slightly dry. Once you add the other dressing it springs right back to life.
Healthy lunches need to be part of your focus for Back To School preparation! Several points to...