Ricotta Meatballs (Gluten Free) During the COVID shut down in April 2020, it was my sister’s...
Cast Iron Skillet Pan Lasagna
Cast Iron Skillet Pan Lasagna
I am so taken by the idea that sheet pan dinners have become all the rage when it comes to recipes. It is kind of fun to create and the optics make the dinner preparer feel like it is easier to create a sheet pan dinner than a regular dinner. (Even though, sometimes it is more complicated). This got me thinking!!! I love cooking in cast iron far more than a sheet pan. It feels like less work because you don’t have to line the sheet pan with parchment or foil, and a cast iron pan is so much easier to clean. This is an idea for cast iron skillet lasagna, and I promise you, you may never go back to regular lasagna again! This is so fun to assemble and a great way to cook with kids. Enjoy!
Total Time:1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 Can 28 oz. crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 jar 24 oz. Rao’s arrabbiata sauce
- 1 Tbs. EVOO
- 1 Tbs. Grass Fed organic unsalted butter
- 1 chopped red onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage out of the casing
- 1 lb. lean ground organic beef
- 12 oz. whole-milk Ricotta cheese
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 no boil lasagna noodles broken in half
- 3 Tbs. chiffonade fresh basil
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the oil and butter and heat till shimmering. Add the onion and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until translucent and slightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and pepper flakes and cook until the scent becomes strong for about 20 seconds.
- Add the meats and cook breaking up the meat with a spatula or wooden spoon. Cook for approximately 5-7 minutes until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the tomatoes and the arrabbiata sauce. Bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes and transfer to a bowl after the sauce has thickened a bit.
- In a separate bowl, combine the ricotta, egg, thyme salt and pepper.
- Then combine the Mozzarella and paremesan in a third bowl.
- Now let’s assemble:
- Spread enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan about ½ inch deep. Then shingle the 6 noodle halves around the sauce in the pan, then place a sheet over the middle.
- Dollop 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the noodles, then the mozzarella mixture, then the sauce. Repeat this same layering order 2-3 times as your pan will allow.
- Always begin with the noodles, always end in sauce.
- Top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Place skillet in oven and bake until cheese is bubbly and golden brown about 40 minutes.
- Let lasagna cool and set for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with basil, cut as you would a pizza or pie and serve.
Sautéed Rainbow Chard
Sautéed Rainbow Chard One of the very first vegetables I seeded and planted was Rainbow Chard. I...
Salmon with Six Herbs
Salmon With Six Herbs We love Salmon. And we love it even more when all of the herbs come right...