Chili Pistachio Pesto I love pesto and I love this pesto recipe. Here’s why: Sometimes if you are...
Sautéed Collard Greens
Vegetarian Collard Greens
by Nanny Bubby
Collard greens can be very tough and bitter. I discovered the process of cooking them for 30 minutes, letting them cool covered for 20 minutes and then simmering them again for 30 minutes before serving. This way you can make them ahead. I made this discovery when pre-cooking them for a live TV show and when they were re-heated and cooked they were more delicious than any other time I had prepared them. Sometimes accidental discoveries are the best discoveries. Enjoy!
Total Time:2 hours
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 large shallots chopped
- 3 scallions chopped, white and green parts
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1.5 Lbs. collard greens chopped or chiffonade
- 1 ½ c. vegetable stock
- 9 cherry tomatoes halved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large skillet with a top, add the oil and butter and heat over medium heat.
- Sauté the shallots and scallions until slightly softened, about 2 minutes, then add the red pepper flakes and garlic, cook another minute. Add the collard greens.
- Add the vegetable stock, cover and bring to a simmer until the greens are tender, about 30 minutes. Cool and bring to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Cover and then simmer the second time for another 30 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Nanny Bubby’s Challah
Nanny Bubby Challah Recipe I love tradition. So many of us are only two generations removed from...
Jicama Fries I am always looking for things that are delicious and different to bring a smile to...