Donnie’s Amazing Mac ‘N Cheese
Thanksgiving sides always seem to find a place on our tables when they represent something special to a family. Whether it is a dish that represents our past and the ancestor’s original country of origin, or a side dish that was made by someone we love who is no longer with us. These sides fill our stomachs but most importantly they warm our hearts. This Mac ‘n Cheese recipe was Don Hamrick’s mothers favorite signature dish. Each time he makes it, the aromas, the visual of the dish, and the making of it brings her back, close to the family, and she lives on in their memories through this dish. Enjoy.
Total Time:1 hour
- 1 lb. Penne Pasta
- 2 ¼ c. milk you can use 2% if you prefer
- 8 Tbsp. flour
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 oz. mascarpone
- 4 oz. parmesan
- 8 oz. shredded sharp white cheddar
- 8 oz. shredded sharp yellow cheddar for top
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Prepare pasta to directions on the box.
- In separate 2 qt. pan melt butter on medium heat. Stir in flour and whisk constantly to blend with melted butter. When flour is completely included, slowly stir in the milk while whisking all the time. Make sure there are no clumps & everything is becoming silky smooth.
- After milk is totally incorporated add the mascarpone, parmesan & white cheddar while stirring to maintain consistency. Reduce heat to low. Add black pepper & nutmeg. Stir for 2 more minutes then turn off heat.
- Add drained pasta & stir to coat completely.
- Empty pasta into 9 X 12 dish.
- Use ½ of sharp cheddar to cover top & bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
- When hot & bubbly pull out & cover the top with the remaining cheddar cheese then top broil for 2-3 minutes until it looks just right to you. Watch it closely as broil happens quickly!
- Cool & enjoy!