by Nanny Bubby
I am always looking for things that are delicious and different to bring a smile to the faces of my guests and family. I had heard of Jicama fries but was not successful finding a recipe for them. Most of them called for the fries to be deep fried, and that sort of defeated the idea for me of a healthy alternative to French Fries. So, let the experimenting begin! I found that smoked paprika is the key to this recipe’s great taste. Your guests will never know they are eating jicama unless they suddenly ask (and they might). The jicama is so much sweeter than potato fries. It takes a moment but watch your family and guests’ eyes sparkle when you tell them what they are eating.
Total Time:20 minutes
- 2 large whole jicamas or 2 to 3 packages of pre-sliced jicama from the market
- 3-4 Tbsp. of EVOO or olive oil spray so as to cover all of the jicama
- 1-2 Tbsp. of smoked paprika
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Kosher salt
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
- Skin the Jicama and then slice it in half lengthwise.
- Place the flat side of the jicama on the cutting board and proceed to slice cross-wise creating about ½ to ¾ inch slices.
- Then, cut the slices that may be up to 2 inches wide into ½ to ¾ inch long slices to look like French fries. If you are using pre-packed cut jicama sticks (so much easier) start here.
- Place the jicama sticks on a cookie sheet spray or sprinkle generously with the EVOO.
- Sprinkle the fries with the smoked paprika and begin to toss with your hands until all of the fries are covered well on all sides with the paprika. The paprika allows the fries to look browned like real French fries and sweet potato fries and gives them a very smoky taste.
- Sprinkle generously with Kosher salt and toss again.
- Place them into the oven for 20-30 minutes until they are sizzling and browned and ready to devour.