Sheet Pan Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage Apples, Herbs And Vegetables
by Nanny Bubby
If there is a food trend right now that is in style, it is “sheet pan dinners”. I Actually had never heard of such a thing till a friend shared this trend with me a few months back. It seems this trend is hotter than a Harvey Wallbanger Cake in the 70’s. My daughter, who is a working mom like most of you, loves sheet pan dinners and uses many different variations all of the time. For those of you who are vegans or vegetarians can substitute any non-meat Italian sausage in place of the chicken. And, if like in my family, half of you eat meat, and the other half or vegetarians, you can split this between two different sheet pans, and put a vegan sausage in one of the pans. Enjoy!
Total Time:1 hour
- 1 lb. halved Brussels sprouts
- 1 large butternut squash
- ½ small red apple sliced thin
- ½ small green apple sliced thin
- 1 small thinly sliced red onion
- 6 small heirloom carrots sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 zucchini sliced lengthwise in quarters and cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ c. good olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 8 chicken sweet Italian sausages
- Handful of fresh thyme leaves and stems
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Apple Cider & Mustard Vinaigrette recipe below
- Tip: Steam the Brussel sprouts or microwave them for 2 minutes prior to putting them on the sheet pan; they roast easier that way.
- Apple Cider & Mustard Vinaigrette
- 3 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh Thyme
- 2 Tbsp. Amber Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped dill
- 1 small minced shallot
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a rimmed sheet plan lined with a silicone liner or parchment paper, toss the Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, zucchini, carrots, onion, apples, and sausage together with the oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the fresh thyme leaves and place into the oven for 25 minutes.
- Toss the ingredients and then rotate the pan and roast for another 20 minutes.
- Pour the vinaigrette evenly over the sheet pan and toss and place into a serving platter sprinkled with more fresh thyme sprigs.