Halloween Mac N’ Cheese I love the autumn. Living in Las Vegas my whole life there was always a...
Roasted Chestnut Soup By Melissa’s Head Chef Tom Fraker
Roasted Chestnut Soup By Melissa's Head Chef Tom Fraker
by Nanny Bubby
I love everything Melissa’s Produce. The fact that you can use their steamed and roasted chestnuts instead of having to roast them yourself, makes this a delicious and non-complicated dish to enjoy! It is unusual, just the name of it says unusual and it is delicious! It is easy to “Spread Love Like Butter” when serving this soup to family and friends.
Total Time:1 hour
- 2 packages Melissa’s Whole Peeled and Cooked Chestnuts or 13 oz. roasted Chestnuts
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
- 1 large Organic Yellow Onion roughly chopped
- 2 cl. Peeled Garlic chopped
- 2 large Organic Carrots roughly chopped
- 2 ribs Organic Celery roughly chopped
- 1/2 c. Sherry
- 6 c. Low Sodium Fat-Free Chicken Broth
- 2 large Leeks; white and pale green parts only washed well and roughly chopped
- Dried Bay Leaves
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Place chestnuts, in a single layer, on a cookie sheet coated with cooking spray. Place in the oven and roast for 10 minutes, tossing them half through the cooking time. (Do this step only if using fresh chestnuts, if using Melissas no need to do step 2.)
- In a large pot, heat the oil and melt the butter. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add the garlic, carrots and celery and cook until caramelized. About 10 minutes. Do not let it run dry. Add a little oil if needed.
- Add the sherry and cook until almost dry.
- Next, add the broth, leeks, bay leaf and chestnuts to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. Carefully blend the soup until smooth, either using a submersion blender or countertop blender.
Ricotta Meatballs – Gluten Free
Ricotta Meatballs (Gluten Free) During the COVID shut down in April 2020, it was my sister’s...
Cauliflower Parmesan Crisps
Cauliflower Parmesan Crisps One Super Bowl year I was experimenting with some gluten-free options....